Things to Do in & around Whangarei, New Zealand
It is easy to spend time exploring the Whangarei area. We have hundreds of beautiful beaches, some of the best diving in the world, tranquil native bush walks and caves to discover. We are only an hour’s drive from the beautiful Bay of Islands. Make Whangarei your base to see the North.
Whangarei has a wide range of events and sporting facilities, tourist attractions and natural features. Continental Motel is well located for visiting all of these locations. Some of the top things to do in Whangarei are:
- Whangarei Falls and A H Reed Memorial Park
- Mair Park bush walkways and river
- Tutukaka Coast beaches and Poor Knights diving
- Whangarei Heads beaches, surfing and coastal walks
- Golf courses
- Whangarei Town Basin marina, cafés and galleries
- Forum North Events Centre
- Kensington / Advocate Stadium and sports fields
- Whangarei Craft Quarry
- Quarry Gardens
- Whangarei Kiwi House and Heritage Park
- Northland Events Centre / Toll Stadium
- Great cafés and restaurants only a short walk from Continental Motel
Whangarei City Centre
Just a 5 min drive from Continental Motel is a great selection of cafés, restaurants, shops, galleries and parks. The city is home to Forum North, Event Cinemas and Whangarei Aquatic Centre. Walk to the Town Basin marina, shops, cafés, playground and walkway.
Hundreds of beaches
Whangarei District is the home of hundreds of superb beaches – many within a 20min drive of Continental Motel. Some of the most well known beaches include Matapouri Bay, Whale Bay and Sandy Bay on the stunning Tutukaka Coast; Ocean Beach at Whangarei Heads and Uretiti Beach at Bream Bay.
Bay of Islands Day Trips
Whangarei is well located for day trips to the Bay of Islands as it’s only one hour south of Paihia and Russell. Visit Waitangi Treaty Grounds, Kerikeri Stone Store and take a boat trip out to the islands or to spot dolphins.
A trip to the wild west coast and Dargaville is also only an hour away.